Welcome to Baked In The South!
To find more PW recipes, click here!
You may also want to try Pioneer Woman’s Steak Oscar
or her Mac & Cheese
or her Beef & Snow Peas
or my all time favorite, her Baked Ziti!
Follow us on Facebook!
Follow us on Instagram!
You can get my fancy Fire Engine Red Cuisinart Dutch Oven here!
Get more Dutch Oven Recipes here!
And if you like Slow Cooker Recipes, you can find more here!
And be sure to subscribe for free weekly recipes delivered straight to your inbox!
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- One 3 to 5-pound chuck roast
- 2 or 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 whole onions, peeled and halved
- 6 to 8 whole carrots, unpeeled, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup red wine, optional
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 or 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 or 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Season the roast with salt & pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the halved onions to the pot, browning them on both sides. Remove the onions to a plate.
- Add carrots to pot and cook until slightly browned. Remove the carrots and place with the onions.
- Add more olive oil to the pot. Sear the meat for about a minute on all sides until it is nice and brown all over. Remove the roast and tent with foil.
- Deglaze the pot with either red wine or beef broth (about 1 cup) scraping up the brown bits on the bottom. Place the roast and vegetables back into the pot and add enough beef stock to cover the meat halfway.
- Add the fresh herbs.
- Put the lid on, and cook on low-medium heat for 4-5 hours.