I hope you love Julia Child’s Roasted Chicken recipe as much as I do! Leave me a comment below if you make it! Be sure to pin the image to save it to your Pinterest boards!
You may also like my other popular recipes! You can find them at the bottom of this post!
Here are my Favorite’s on Amazon!
Visit our Boutique!
Join our FACEBOOK GROUP to see all of our recipes in one place!
And be sure to subscribe for free weekly recipes delivered straight to your inbox!
Thank y’all so much for stopping by! Come on back now, ya here?!
- 1 fine, fresh 3 1/2 pound chicken (let sit at room temp for 30 minutes seasoned with kosher salt)
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 6 fresh sage leaves, or 4 sprigs of fresh tarragon or 1/2 teaspoon dried herbes de Provence
- 1 large lemon, cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup mixed roughly chopped carrots
- 1 cup diced onions
- 2 cups baby potatoes
- Preparing the chicken:
- Set the rack on the lower middle level and preheat the oven to 425°F.
- I purchased the chicken already trussed, you can ask the butcher to do this for you
- Rinse the chicken thoroughly, inside and out, under hot water, then dry it with paper towels.
- Salt and pepper the cavity and stuff it with the sage leaves and 3 or 4 thick slices of lemon; give the slices a squeeze as you put them in. Massage the butter over the entire chicken skin, including undersides, then salt with kosher salt generously.
- If you need to truss: Tie the ends of the drumsticks together with twine. Arrange the chicken breast-up on the rack in the roasting pan and tuck the flap of neck skin underneath. Squeeze the juice of the remaining lemon pieces over the top.
- Arrange chopped vegetables around chicken and toss with butter and olive oil and season with salt, pepper and herbs.
- Roasting the chicken:
- A small chicken will roast in about 1 1/4 hours, a larger one may take 1 1/2 hours or more. When done, remove the chicken from the rack and set it on a board to rest for 15 minutes before carving. This allows the juices to retreat back into the flesh.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g