The kitchen is the heart of your home. It’s a place where you can experiment with different recipes and bring the family together over delicious home cooked dishes. The plate is your canvas, and in the kitchen, you are an artist painting with colors, textures and tastes to create culinary masterpieces that are the delight of your family and guests alike. Your kitchen is a space in which you feel you can come alive, dazzling your loved ones with your creations.
But unbeknownst to many, this haven of domestic bliss is vulnerable to an array of invisible dangers. Unseen menaces that can creep into your home and your body and compromise your health and that of those you love most. Let’s look at some of the hidden dangers in the kitchen and how you can protect yourself from them…
There are many ways in which the respiratory condition legionella (aka Legionnaires disease) can infect your home and your family via the kitchen. Symptoms of legionella include coughing fits, shortness of breath, high fever, muscle pains, and headaches. In the most vulnerable like the very young or the very old it can even be fatal. The bacteria that creates legionella can breed in faulty or poorly maintained HVAC units which is why regular Residential HVAC Maintenance is so important. The harmful bacteria has also been found to breed in damp and rusty conditions, which makes stainless steel sinks and faucets a common breeding ground for legionella.
Electro Magnetic Fields or EMF are emitted by all kinds of electronic household items. They emit a radiation which is generally harmless, but as we grow more and more reliant on electronic appliances in the kitchen these radiation levels can adds up. And we still don’t fully understand the effects that EMF radiation can have on our health. However, they have been linked to some extremely unpleasant side-effects including headaches, nausea, lack of concentration, disturbed sleep and insomnia and even depression. Some studies have even demonstrated a link between EMF radiation and cancer. Which is why it’s a good idea to limit the amount of decides in use in the kitchen at any given time and unplug devices not in use.
You’ve most likely heard of the “silent killer” that is carbon monoxide, but you may not be aware of how it comes about or just how poisonous it can be. Carbon monoxide occurs wherever anything is burned, which is why it’s such a commonly detected threat in the kitchen. It is most commonly caused by;
- Fires (gas and solid fuel)
- Gas or kerosene heaters
- Water heaters
- Wood stoves
- Gas cooking stoves
- Gas tumble dryers
- Charcoal grills
You can potentially save your family’s lives by purchasing a carbon monoxide detector , and knowing the signs of carbon monoxide emissions in the kitchen.
These usually include brownish yellow or sooty stains around the appliance, heavy condensation in the room, long lasting fumes or smoke and slower than usual burning.
Stay vigilant against these invisible threats and you will be able to enjoy your time in the kitchen while also knowing that those closest to you are safe and healthy.