- 1 pound ground beef, 80 percent lean
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 medium onion, minced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup finely chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for serving
- 1 1/2 cups whole-milk fresh ricotta cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Drizzle the olive oil into a 9×13-inch baking dish and use your hand to evenly coat the entire surface. Set aside.
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix by hand until thoroughly incorporated.
- Roll the mixture into round, golf ball-size meatballs (about 1 1/2 inches), making sure to pack the meat firmly. Place the balls in the prepared baking dish, being careful to line them up snugly and in even rows vertically and horizontally to form a grid. The meatballs should be touching one another.
- Roast for 20 minutes, or until the meatballs are firm and cooked through. A meat thermometer inserted into the center of a meatball should read 165°F.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g