I’m always looking for a good blue crab appetizer recipe. You need to make these little bits of goodness for your next affair. They are perfect and bite sized and delicious.
SWEET CORN & CRAB POPPERS
- 2/3 cup 150 mL unseasoned dry bread crumbs, divided
- 3/4 cup 175 mL thawed frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 small red bell pepper
- 1 pkg (.75 oz fresh chives (about 1/4 cup/50 mL finely chopped), divided)
- 1 can (6 oz/175 g lump crabmeat, drained)
- 1/2 cup 125 mL mayonnaise, divided
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1/2 tsp 2 mL coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp 1 mL salt
- 1 lemon
- 1/8 tsp 0.5 mL cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 425ºF (220ºC). Spray cups of Mini-Muffin Pan with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle cups with 1/3 cup (75 mL) of the bread crumbs, gently tapping and rotating to coat.
- Finely chop corn and bell pepper. Blot bell pepper dry with paper towels. Finely chop chives; set aside 1 tbsp (15 mL) for garnish. Combine corn, bell pepper, remaining 3 tbsp (45 mL) chives, crabmeat, 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the mayonnaise, egg, remaining 1/3 cup (75 mL) bread crumbs, black pepper and salt.
- Divide crab mixture evenly among cups of pan. Bake 8–10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool poppers in pan 2 minutes; remove from pan to cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, juice lemon to measure 1 tsp (5 mL). Combine juice, cayenne pepper and remaining 1/4 cup (50 mL) mayonnaise in (1-cup/250-mL) Prep Bowl; mix well. Top poppers with sauce and reserved chives.