Horseradish Pot RoastPrint Recipe
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- One 3 to 5-pound chuck roast
- 2 or 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 whole onions peeled and halved
- 6 to 8 whole carrots unpeeled, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 lb. small red potatoes
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 cups beef broth
- 3 Tablespoons of Horseradish
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
- salt and pepper the chuck roast.
- Heat the olive oil in large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the halved onions to the pot, browning them on both sides. Remove the onions to a plate.
- If needed, add a bit more olive oil to the very hot pot. Place the meat in the pot and sear it for about a minute on all sides until it is nice and brown all over. Remove the roast to a plate.
- With the burner still on high, use red wine to deglaze the pot, scraping the bottom with a whisk. Stir in the horseradish. Place the roast back into the pot and add the beef stock to cover the meat halfway.
- Add in the onions and the carrots, and the potatoes.
- Put the lid on, then roast for 3 hours for a 3-pound roast. For a 4 to 5-pound roast, plan on 4 hours. The roast is ready when it's fall-apart tender.