PF Chang's Sesame Chicken
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 dash sesame oil
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken
- breast meat - cubed
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup water
- 1-quart vegetable oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- Whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and baking powder into a bowl. Pour in 2 tablespoons soy sauce, sherry, 2 tablespoons water, 1 teaspoon vegetable oil, and a dash of sesame oil and mix until smooth. Fold in chicken until coated with the batter, then cover, and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, bring chicken broth, sugar, vinegar, dark soy sauce, sesame oil, chili paste, and garlic to a simmer over high heat. Dissolve ¼ cup cornstarch into ½ cup of water, and stir into boiling sauce. Simmer until the sauce thickens. Reduce heat to low, and keep sauce warm.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to a temperature of 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Drop-in half the battered chicken pieces, and fry until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove chicken to a paper towel covered plate and repeat with the remaining chicken. Toss fried chicken pieces in the hot sauce. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds to garnish. Serve over hot cooked rice.