To find more Pioneer Woman recipes, click here!
And be sure to subscribe for free weekly recipes & giveaways delivered straight to your inbox!
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- One 3 to 5-pound chuck roast
- 2 or 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 whole onions, peeled and halved
- 6 to 8 whole carrots, unpeeled, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup red wine, optional
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 or 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 or 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Season the roast with salt & pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the halved onions to the pot, browning them on both sides. Remove the onions to a plate.
- Add carrots to pot and cook until slightly browned. Remove the carrots and place with the onions.
- Add more olive oil to the pot. Sear the meat for about a minute on all sides until it is nice and brown all over. Remove the roast and tent with foil.
- Deglaze the pot with either red wine or beef broth (about 1 cup) scraping up the brown bits on the bottom. Place the roast and vegetables back into the pot and add enough beef stock to cover the meat halfway.
- Add the fresh herbs.
- Put the lid on, and cook on low-medium heat for 4-5 hours.
You may also want to try Pioneer Woman’s Steak Oscar
or her Mac & Cheese
or her Beef & Snow Peas
Here is one of my all time favorites, Pioneer Woman’s Baked Ziti!Follow me – Pinterest | Facebook | Instagram Join our FACEBOOK GROUP to see all of our recipes in one place! Did you try this recipe? Hashtag #bakedinthesouth so I can see! And be sure to subscribe for free weekly recipes delivered straight to your inbox!