Devils’ Food Samoa Cupcakes with Caramel Buttercream
- 3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1 box of Samoa Girl Scout Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Whisk together cocoa and hot water until smooth. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Melt butter with sugar in a saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring to combine. Remove from heat and pour into a mixing bowl. With an electric mixer on medium-low speed, beat until mixture is cooled, 4 to 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add vanilla, then cocoa mixture, and beat until combined. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in two batches, alternating with the sour cream, and beating until just combined after each.
- Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-
quarters full. Place a crushed samoa in each cupcake and mix in. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool 15 minutes; turn out cupcakes onto racks and let cool completely. Cupcakes can be stored overnight at room temperature, or frozen up to 2 months, in airtight containers.
For the Buttercream:
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 pound confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce (store bought)
- Beat butter with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce speed to medium. Add sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, beating after each addition, about 5 minutes. Add vanilla extract and caramel and beat until buttercream is smooth.
- Pipe onto cooled cupcakes using a 1M Wilton tip
For the Ganache:
- 8 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (we like 61 percent cacao)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt
- Coarsely chop chocolate.
- Bring cream just to a boil over medium-high heat. Pour over chocolate and add salt. Let stand for 10 minutes (don’t stir — doing so will cool the ganache too quickly, making it grainy).
- Stir with a whisk until smooth
Garnish with Ganache, Caramel Sauce & a Samoa Cookie
Cupcake recipe adapted from: Martha Stewart