Big Green Egg Smoked Southern Baby Back Ribs Recipe Tutorial
If you’ve never tried green egg baby back ribs, you need to check out this tutorial! If you aren’t familiar with “The Big Green Egg” it is a large, green, egg-shaped smoker that makes the most delicious food on the planet! It can be used ,as both a grill and a smoker.
We make everything from burgers & hotdogs, grilled pizza, to whole smoked chicken and whole racks of ribs! We even do our 20 lb. Thanksgiving Turkey on this bad boy! You can cook anything on this thing and the website has tons of recipes along with great customer support to help you learn how to use your egg.
They have several different sizes and the smaller one seems like it can do all the same things as the larger one, which is what we have. Except maybe the 20 lb. Turkey… I purchase all of my meats & seafood from Butcher Box.
They deliver 100% grass-fed beef, free-range organic chicken and heritage breed pork directly to your door. I highly recommend their ribs!
Before you start, make sure you have the right accessories for Big Green Egg recipes.
Big Green Egg All Natural Charcoal Starters – 24 cubes
LARGE The Large EGG is the most popular size and a favorite to handle the cooking needs of most families and gatherings of friends. Accommodates all EGGcessories for baking, roasting or smoking – and it’s versatile enough for weekend cook-outs or pizza parties, large enough for eight steaks at once, and efficient enough for an impromptu meatloaf for two! Specifications:
- Grid Diameter: 18.25 in / 46 cm
- Cooking Area: 262 sq in / 1688 sq cm
- Weight: 155 lbs / 70 kgs
The Large EGG can cook:
- 20-pound turkey
- 12 burgers
- 6 chickens vertically
- 8 steaks
- 7 racks of ribs vertically
Most popular EGGcessories:
- Plate Setter
- Deep Dish Baking Stone
- Grid Lifter
- BEST OVERALL CHARCOAL GRILL: Original Kettle Premium 22-Inch Charcoal Grill
- BEST VALUE CHARCOAL GRILL: Char-Griller E1224 Smokin Pro 830 Square Inch Charcoal Grill with Side Fire Box, 50 Inch, Black
- BEST CHARCOAL GRILL AND SMOKER : Gravity Series 560 Digital Charcoal Grill + Smoker
- BEST TABLETOP CHARCOAL GRILL : Rambler Tabletop Charcoal Grill
Big Green Egg Smoked Southern Baby Back Ribs Recipe & Tutorial
- 2 Racks of Baby Back Ribs
- Dry Rub, we used Williams Sonoma
- Sweet Barbecue Sauce, we used Sweet Baby Rays
- 1 Gallon Apple Juice
- Applewood smoker Chips
- Hardwood Charcoal
- Prepare your ribs by removing the casing on underside. Apply Dry Rub generously to the meat side of the ribs. Now prepare your smoker or grill. If you don’t have a Green Egg (you should run out and get one:) but any smoker or grill will work. Start by lighting the hardwood charcoal and soaking Applewood chips in water to moisten. Add apple chips to hot coals… You are going to smoke the ribs for a total of five hours, on low indirect heat, at 250 degrees, with some steps in between.
- Place the separator in the grill to allow for indirect heat
- Place Grill top on top of the separator and then place grill rack onto grill top.
- Place ribs bone side down onto grill rack.
- Smoke for three hours on indirect heat at 200-250 degrees After three hours of smoking, you are going to remove the ribs and the grill rack Place 1 gallon of apple juice in a roasting pan, and submerge ribs in liquid. Cover with foil & Return to grill for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour in the apple juice mixture, remove ribs and return directly to grill grate for the last hour of cooking.
- Baste with barbeque sauce during the last 30 minutes
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Prepare your ribs by removing the casing on the underside. Apply Dry Rub generously to the meat side of the ribs. Now prepare your smoker or grill. If you don’t have a Green Egg (your should run out and get one:) but any smoker or grill will work. Start by lighting the hardwood charcoal and soaking Applewood chips in water to moisten. Add apple chips to hot coals… You are going to smoke the ribs for a total of five hours, on low indirect heat, at 250 degrees, with some steps in between.
Buy high quality hardwood charcoal.
Masterbuilt MB20091621 Lump Charcoal 16 Pound, Black
Place the separator in grill to allow for indirect heat
Place Grill top on top of the separator and then place grill rack onto grill top. Place ribs bone side down onto grill rack.
Smoke for three hours on indirect heat at 200-250 degrees After three hours of smoking, you are going to remove the ribs and the grill rack Place 1 gallon of apple juice in a roasting pan, and submerge ribs in liquid. Cover with foil & Return to grill for 1 hour.
After 1 hour in the apple juice mixture, remove ribs and return directly to grill grate for the last hour of cooking. Baste with barbeque sauce during last 30 minutes. And here they are!!!! The best ribs you’ll ever eat!!!!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do! Leave me a comment below with YOUR favorite! Maybe I’ll make yours next and feature it here! Pin the image to save it to your boards!
Follow me – Pinterest | Facebook | Instagram
Join our FACEBOOK GROUP to see all of our recipes in one place!
Did you try this recipe? Hashtag #bakedinthesouth so I can see!
Affiliate Disclaimer: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. When you make purchase using my links, I will get a small commission at no additional cost to you. Also, this doesn’t affect what I write about and how I write in any way. Thanks
This post was last updated on 18 November 2022.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
This paragraph is in fact a good one it helps new the web
people, who are wishing in favor of blogging.
Wow, fantastic weblog layout! How lengthy have you ever been blogging for?
you made blogging look easy. The entire glance of your website is excellent, as well as the content!
Felt this is one of the best write ups. You have a talent. The problem with BGE seems to be people chasing the thermometer…It has to do with raising and lower the lid where the temp swings 100 degrees or more while the pit temp stays within 25…I have some notes on this if you want.
I’ve written 2 books one on smoking and one on grilling for gourmet-oriented Q. Be happy to share. Also I sent my rub recipes to a local herbalist who now makes them up for people upon request.
If you’d like copy of the rub recipes let me know.
Thanks Martin! This was actually my boyfriends recipe. He is really great at cooking on the BGE!!! Yes, we’d love a copy of the recipes and any tips you have!
If you’re looking you’re not cooking! Set up the egg correctly and you only have to open it a few times for this technique. Sure the temperature will drop when you open the egg but it returns to cooking temperature quickly when you close it.
I used Pensey’s Northwoods Fire for the rub and Wegman’s Kansas City sauce and these turned out great!
This is very interesting, You’re an excessively skilled blogger.
I’ve joined your feed and look forward to seeking extra of your fantastic post.
Additionally, I have shared your website in my social networks
After scouring the internet for Big Green Egg rib recipes, I came across your blog, Thank you so much for writing this…we made them tonight and they were so good! So easy and approachable…..definitely going to make them again and again!
Comments are closed.