2017 Coastal Virginia Magazine Idea House, a partnership between Coastal Virginia Magazine and Stephen Alexander Homes and Neighborhoods. Located in Ashby’s Bridge near Sandbridge Beach in Virginia Beach, VA, the Nantucket-inspired dream home is all about a relaxed beach lifestyle! Interior designer Susan Wilson worked with the architects to create a cottage retreat feel with character and details around every corner. Isn’t it gorgeous!?!
y’all know I love a good bread pudding! wait till you try this pumpkin goodness
PUMPKIN BREAD PUDDING
- 1 loaf (16 ounces) raisin bread
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid pack pumpkin
- ½ cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 eggs
- 1½ tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- ¼ cup pecans, chopped
- Vanilla frozen yogurt or thawed, frozen fat-free whipped topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly brush Medium Rectangular Baker with canola oil using Chef's Silicone Basting Brush. Slice bread into 1-inch cubes; set aside.
- Pour evaporated milk into small microwave-safe bowl; microwave on HIGH 3 minutes or until hot. In large bowl, whisk pumpkin, ½ cup of the sugar, eggs, spice blend and orange zest until smooth. Gradually whisk hot milk into pumpkin mixture.
- Place half of the bread cubes over bottom of baker; pour half of the pumpkin mixture over bread. Top with remaining bread cubes and remaining pumpkin mixture. Sprinkle pecans evenly over bread. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake 25-30 minutes or until set. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Serve with frozen yogurt or whipped topping, if desired.
you need to make these little bits of goodness as soon as possible
SWEET CORN & CRAB POPPERS
- ⅔ cup (150 mL) unseasoned dry bread crumbs, divided
- ¾ cup (175 mL) thawed frozen corn kernels
- ½ small red bell pepper
- 1 pkg (.75 oz) fresh chives (about ¼ cup/50 mL finely chopped), divided
- 1 can (6 oz/175 g) lump crabmeat, drained
- ½ cup (125 mL) mayonnaise, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ tsp (2 mL) coarsely ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 lemon
- ⅛ tsp (0.5 mL) cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 425ºF (220ºC). Spray cups of Mini-Muffin Pan with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle cups with ⅓ cup (75 mL) of the bread crumbs, gently tapping and rotating to coat.
- Finely chop corn and bell pepper. Blot bell pepper dry with paper towels. Finely chop chives; set aside 1 tbsp (15 mL) for garnish. Combine corn, bell pepper, remaining 3 tbsp (45 mL) chives, crabmeat, ¼ cup (50 mL) of the mayonnaise, egg, remaining ⅓ cup (75 mL) bread crumbs, black pepper and salt.
- Divide crab mixture evenly among cups of pan. Bake 8–10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool poppers in pan 2 minutes; remove from pan to cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, juice lemon to measure 1 tsp (5 mL). Combine juice, cayenne pepper and remaining ¼ cup (50 mL) mayonnaise in (1-cup/250-mL) Prep Bowl; mix well. Top poppers with sauce and reserved chives.