Mama's Tuna Noodle Casserole
- •1 medium onion, finely chopped
- •4½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- •10 oz mushrooms, trimmed and sliced ¼ inch thick (4 cups)
- •2 teaspoons soy sauce
- •1/4 cup Sherry
- •1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- •2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- •1 cup whole milk
- •2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- •1/4 teaspoon salt
- •2 (6-oz) cans albacore tuna, drained
- •6 oz dried curly egg noodles
- •1½ cups panko bread crumbs
- •1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- Saute onion in 1½ tablespoons butter in a large skillet until softened, about 5 minutes. Increase heat, add mushrooms and sauté until they begin to give off liquid, about 2 minutes. Add soy sauce and continue to sauté mushrooms, stirring, until liquid mushrooms give off is evaporated. Add Sherry and boil, stirring occasionally, until evaporated. Remove from heat.
- Melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter in a 2- to 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderately low heat and whisk in flour, then cook roux, whisking, 3 minutes. Add broth in a stream, whisking, and bring to a boil, whisking. Whisk in milk and simmer sauce, whisking occasionally, 5 minutes. Stir in mushroom mixture, lemon juice, and salt. Mix tuna into sauce and stir gently. Season sauce with salt and pepper.
- Cook noodles in a 5- to 6-quart pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain noodles in a colander and return to pot. Add sauce and stir gently to combine. Transfer mixture to baking dish, spreading evenly.
- Toss bread crumbs with oil, then sprinkle evenly over casserole. Bake until topping is crisp and sauce is bubbling, 20 to 30 minutes.