There is nothing quite like a good onion ring. and I love onion rings like Paula Deen loves butter:) so when I discovered this recipe I could make at home, I was in heaven.
Fried Beer Batter Heaven…
I still don’t own a fryer, so I used my dutch oven to heat the oil to 375 degrees
Frying can be tricky if you haven’t done it before
You will want to have a fryer basket or metal tongs handy to keep the onions to sticking to the bottom of your fryer
You will know they are done when they are floating around on top all brown and beautiful;)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup beer
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- salt to taste
- 3 large onions, sliced into rings
- 2 quarts oil for frying
- Sift flour into a large bowl. In another large bowl, whisk egg yolks. Mix in beer, butter and salt. Set aside 1 cup of flour for dipping the onion rings. Slowly stir the egg yolk mixture into the remaining flour and mix well. Allow the mixture to stand 30 to 60 minutes.
- Heat deep fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a small bowl, stiffly beat the egg whites. Gently combine the egg whites with the batter.
- Coat each onion ring with flour and dip into batter.
- Deep fry the battered rings, several at a time, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve